Willie Monroe Jr. in town to plug world title shot
One year after winning the made-for-TV Boxcino Tournament, which came with a promise of a world title shot, Rochester’s Willie Monroe Jr., is getting his chance.
Monroe, 28, will meet the media Wednesday at the Hungerford Building on East Main Street to promote his May 16 bout against world No. 1 Gennady Golovkin at the Forum in Inglewood, Calif.
The fight for Golovkin’s WBA, IBO and interim WBC middleweight titles will be carried on HBO.
Monroe (19-1-0 with six knockouts), who owns a pair of North American titles, is ranked No. 2 by the WBA, No. 5 by the WBO and No. 9 by the WBC.
Golovkin, 32, who lives in Los Angeles, is a native of Kazakhstan and is one of boxing’s modern-day legends. He’s undefeated at 32-0 with 29 wins by knockout. And while Monroe is riding a nine-fight winning streak, Golovkin is riding a 19-knockout streak. Most of the elite fighters at his weight won’t fight him, it has been reported, such as Miguel Cotto.
Monroe, however, is a southpaw who is known for his ring intelligence and extending his fights the distance. He described this fight as “the bull vs. the matador.” He leaves after today to ratchet his training up.
“I’m ready,” he said in a news release. “I’ve been in training camp for three weeks before we were even given this great opportunity. We’ll be more than ready. I’m going to shock the world.”
That sort of thing runs in the family. His great uncle, Willie “The Worm” Monroe, once scored one of the greatest upsets in boxing history when he defeated Marvin Hagler.
Monroe Jr. returns frequently to his hometown to take part in community events. He defeated Brian Vera (23-8-0) in his last fight on Jan. 16 at Turning Stone Casino.
Golovkin kocked out Martin Murray (29-1-1) on Feb. 21 in Monte Carlo. During a press event last week in Los Angeles, he praised Monroe for his difficult style and because most of his fights are over quickly, he said he was OK with the prospect of this title defense lasting awhile.
“This is very good for me, maybe it’s good for my fans because maybe it won’t be two rounds,” he said.
Not if Monroe has anything to say about it.
Source: Democrat & Chronicle